Welcome!

Thursday 24 November 2011

Wednesday Morning Reflections

These past few months have just flown by - What started with falling down the stairs at my inlaws and cracking a rib, traveled along the road to getting a nasty cold/strep that seemed content to remain and for several weeks our Internet/Voip was on the fritz.  


We were in 3 weeks of not being able to use our home phone when the tech called to say that he had it working now, and then we realized that the multitude of messages that we could see on the phone had been reset.  He said he thought we had heard them.  When the phone hadn't worked in weeks I'm not sure how but I lost all the saved messages as well as new messages that had been left over that whole time period.  They laughed when I told them that they were playing with their lives.  I guess he didn't realize how serious I was when I told him it was perfectly acceptable to separate a girl from her phone *OR* her internet for a short time,  however more than 3 weeks of being removed from BOTH and subsequently e-mail too..    it could prove fatal.   

I *So* wish, I could have had a look at the guy's face when I said What part of my voice sounds like it's kidding?    LOL    It's all good now but I was NOT a happy camper there for a bit.. 


Thankfully we get e-mail notifications for messages, so I've been able to reconnect with everybody.  If I've missed you, please give me a call or drop me an e-mail and we'll get things back on track. :) 

As many of you know, we were off to Montreal yesterday for my Uncle's funeral.  For those that know us well,  you've likely heard me speak of Uncle Calvin  ~  He was the eldest sibling in a family of 12 (my Dad being the youngest boy with one sister younger than he).  He was a Veteran, a member of the Black Watch, a Retired Drum Major.  He would have been 88 this coming Saturday. 


I remember growing up, going to the cenotaph with my Dad and hearing my Dad tell me proudly how his Dad (my grandfather), and his "Big Brother" fought in the war..  I've never put a poppy on without thinking of those early (often cold) mornings with Dad.  


In my mind, Uncle Calvin was immortal.  I know that sounds crazy..  but I've been hearing stories about him since I was just a little kid,  I remember "meeting" him at 8 years old when my sister was born and we came home to Montreal for a visit.   We used to talk almost daily via MSN before his eyesight got really bad ~ it was always entertaining.  Every so often he'd say something and I'd have a quirky goosebump moment when he'd say something and I would stop in my tracks because he so totally reminded me of my own Dad.  

We seem to go through life running with the assumption that there will always be another tomorrow, yet when suddenly that tomorrow is taken away and we lose someone we loved we're shocked and angry that life ends.  Surely we're not so naive to think that we're all immortal ~ yet life gets busy and we perpetuate the myth until sadly one morning we wake up and another door closes,  and we're sad for what has been stolen from us and later disappointed for all the chances we didn't take.  


I'd like to leave you with a challenge - Right now.. I'd like you to take a few minutes from your busy day.  E-mail a friend,  call someone you haven't spoken to in a while - say you're sorry.  Tomorrow was never promised.  Enjoy today, it is truly a precious gift.    <3  










No comments: