Welcome!

Wednesday 28 February 2024

Let's Get the Party Started - What do I need to get started?

 


I am often asked by new crafters what they NEED to buy to get started.  The answer really depends..  I have always prided myself on helping my customers meet their crafting goals, within their budgets.  Not everybody is able to get everything they want up front - and I totally get that.  Life is expensive enough, and our hobbies don't always get the time and attention that we'd love to shower them with. 

Of course,  the avid crafter in me wants to giggle, and rub my hands together and tell you all about the fabulous products that we carry, and how they are all designed to colour coordinate, and make your experience as easy as possible.  

I would have no trouble showing you products and telling you about all of the wonderful things that you could create with them, and up-sell you on the wonders of our products without difficulty -- but let me share a little secret with you..   You don't have to do it all on day ONE. 

When I was first introduced to Stampin' Up! I had already been scrapbooking for quite a while.  I had amassed a large collection of tools and supplies from a variety of sources and my family had taken to buying me pound of paper packs, and multi-packs of Provocraft paper DSP in multiples so I'd have lots to work with. I already had a paper trimmer, some dies and such.  I was very cautious about diving right in and buying a pile more, and wanted to be smart about it.    

Looking at my craftroom today, you'd wonder where that girl went, but as I said..  not on the first day.  LOL  

My very first purchase was quite minimal.  I had purchased a black stamp pad, a stamp set, and a spray bottle of stamp cleaner.  At my demo's suggestion, I would later order a bone folder.   

For the first while, I would stamp images and colour with markers, or pencil crayons.  I used a lot of buttons for decorations, or as balloons and would draw in the strings.  When I look at them now, I cringe a little but I'd been so proud of them back then.  I still have one of the very first cards I ever made up in my craft room.  I love showing newbies that we all started somewhere, and if *I* can do it, surely they can too.  

I still colour stamped images fairly regularly, and sometimes my grandkids will join in.  The kids love to use (what they call) Grandma's "good markers," but they have plenty of supplies of their own too.  

When I was going through treatments, I'd cut card fronts on white card stock, and bring them with my water colour pencils, markers, and sometimes pencil crayons so that I could colour while I killed time during my treatment.  There really is something calming about colouring.  When I'd get home, I could just add the card front to a backing, add some embellishments and I'd have many cards done in a flash.  

I picked up a small carry case that was manageable and often picked a colour family, or pencil crayons to take with me because I worried that if I set it down someone might feel the need to relieve me of my goodies.  Thankfully that never happened.  

It was also a great way to use up some of my retired card-stock, and paper and I have donated many cards to our local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion to be used by their Sick and Visiting chair.  They were always well received.  

When I started, we didn't have all of the wonderful all-inclusive kits that we do now - and I would strongly suggest that you start there as a beginner.  If you decide that the hobby is not for you, you can gift the cards and move on without any kind of remorse.   Whereas if you've dropped a boatload on supplies and decide you don't like it - well I suppose you could post them online or donate them to a worthy cause - but I'd rather see you not be filled with regret.   This is supposed to be a GOOD thing.

The very first thing I would recommend is that you decided what you want to make.   Are you a scrapbooker?  Do you want to make cards?  Do you want to make 3-D boxes, and gift holders?   You may want to do all of those things, but what you need to get started may vary somewhat.   

For all options - you'll want to ensure that you have a pair of good scissors.  I love our paper snips and wouldn't part with them - but you can start with any good pair of scissors.  I would suggest that you test them on a scrap piece of paper before you ruin your coveted paper though -- not all scissors were created equal. At some point you will want to invest in a paper trimmer, but that can come later.  

Next would be adhesive.  We offer several options, and I'll happily pull them all out for you to play-test while you're here.  In a pinch, a simple kids' glue stick or white glue will do the job -- for now.  You aren't going to enjoy that as much for finer projects, but it will certainly get you started.  I like the fine tip on our multipurpose glue - it helps keep the mess down.  

I would suggest an ink pad - I suggest something neutral like black or navy to start, and I recommend a bone folder.  It will help you with creating crisp fold lines in your projects.  In a pinch you can use a special technique to use a marker to colour on the stamp, and stamp to your project - and buying a pack of markers would get you more colours at once than a single ink pad.  

In a pinch you could go old school and use your kids' Crayola markers though that won't give you the benefits of coordinating products, it will get you started. That's the goal, right?  

Though I have what my hubby likes to call a crafting warehouse, I will still pull out pencil crayons on occasion to colour in images.  The plus side of colouring (whether with markers, blends,  watercolour etc) is that you always get a different card - it's impossible to make the exact same card twice when you're creating by hand.  I love it! 

You may want to pick up a stamp set, or you can look at card stock and Designer Series Paper - purchase a colour you love, or a colour family that will give you more colours to work with.  You will no doubt want some whisper white card stock as well. You might decide that you want to use our DSP, and not stamp at all - that's the beauty of paper crafting - you're in the driver's seat - you make what you would like.  

If you're attending classes, you'll get to play with some of that during classes and get a chance to get more familiar with what you like in person.  Our catalog photos don't always do them justice.  

As you get going, you'll find punches, embossing folders, dies, thinlets, and a variety of embellishments.  We joke that for a while every time you look at the catalog, you will see something that you hadn't seen before.  The struggle is real.  LOL 

As we get back into the swing of things, I'm looking forward to doing some Card stock and paper samplers, ribbon shares, etc.   That way you can sample a little bit of everything, and buy more of what you love best. 

More than anything, I'm looking forward to getting back to the crafting table with all of you! 

There's still time to get in on FREE Sale-a-bration picks!  Get ONE for every $60 you spend - but only until February 29th (We get one extra shopping day this year!). Use this handy link to order:  https://www.stampinup.ca/?hostcode=337VNZUN

If your order comes to $135 or more, consider looking at our SAB Kit Special - not only do you get to choose $165 in product for $135 (including tax and shipping) during Sale-a-bration you also can choose to add a glass mat combo or  ADDITIONAL product FREE.  Check out the video in this post to get a closer look.  

Here's the link you'll want if you would like our "I want it all" kit.  https://www.stampinup.ca/join?demoid=2063334

Of course, if you'd like to join Stampin' Up! and become a demonstrator, you'd be a welcome addition to my Stampin' Up! family.  Some of my long-time customers and repeat "kit-nappers."  I am here to support you in your hobby, or your business - your way.   

Thanks for choosing me to guide you on our your jouney! 




No comments: